Careers at Worldwide Cancer Research
Worldwide Cancer Research is a small charity with immense ambition – to end cancer by starting new cancer cures worldwide. We find and fund innovative ideas at the start of the cancer research journey all over the world. Starting the life-saving advances of the future by sowing the seeds of new discoveries today. Funding brand new ideas and supporting researchers who ask big, challenging, new questions about how cancer works and how we can control it.
For 40 years our scientists have explored brand new concepts and advanced our understanding of cancer – taking the first step in the research journey that provides new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer. As a charity, we are committed to opportunity without barriers, and we are striving to seek, value and learn from different perspectives and experiences.
We want Worldwide Cancer Research to be an inclusive organisation – where everyone can be themselves and feel valued. We strive to ensure our team feels fully supported to fulfil their role without discrimination, as we know how important the role of every individual within the charity is in starting new cures; without them, we wouldn’t exist. If you want to speak to the CEO, you can. If you want to speak to the research team, you can. If you want to share your story, there will always be someone to listen.
We are determined that all applicants and employees receive equitable, fair treatment regardless of gender, sex, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status or race. We have pledged to ‘Show the Salary’ for the roles we advertise - because our team members are at the heart of everything we do to start new cancer cures around the world.
We welcome applications from all communities to help build an inclusive team, as diverse as the scientific community we fund and the families whose lives we impact. To find out more about what it’s like to be part of Team Worldwide, contact [email protected].
Why you should become a Curestarter
Sadly, 1 in 2 people in the UK will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. That's why we vow to keep funding more lifesaving research projects into any type of cancer, anywhere in the world. We won't stop until cancer does.
At Worldwide Cancer Research, we believe in providing a work-life balance that allows our pioneering and spirited Curestarters to make a real difference whilst having a fulfilling and rewarding time.
- Salary – We regularly benchmark and review our salaries in line with our Remuneration Policy.
- Holiday – 33 days’ FTE paid leave a year, plus four public holidays over Christmas and New Year.
- Pension – 10% of your annual salary, greater than the statutory recommendation of 3%, your contribution is optional.
Looking after you
- Maternity and paternity – Our occupational maternity and paternity leave and pay are over and above the statutory minimum requirements.
- Travel season tickets – We offer interest-free loans for your season tickets to help spread the cost.
- Cycle to work scheme – To promote your health and sustainable commuting.
- Sick pay – We support our team whilst off work unwell, and our sick pay is in excess of the statutory minimum requirement.
- Death in service – We will pay three times your annual salary as life assurance to the person you choose.
- Health and wellbeing guidance – Creating a workplace and culture that promotes health and wellbeing as its cornerstone.
- Carer days – If you're ever needed to help a dependant, planned or unplanned, we offer three paid carer days FTE a year.
- Occupational health – We work with external OH professionals to help team members stay in work or return to work.
- Employee counselling service – We offer referrals to an independent and confidential counselling service.
- Mental health training – Mental health matters. That's why we run regular mental health training across the team.
- Employee assistance programme – Every member of our team and their household have access to a free, independent helpline that offers support around finance, mental and physical wellbeing.
- Flexible working – We make every effort to support flexible working when requested.
- Hybrid working test – After reopening the office we are running a test of hybrid working when all full-time, office-based staff will be required to work at least two days per week in the office subject to 10am - 3pm core hours.
Curestarter benefits - download our at a glance guide
Our people are important to us – and are critical to the success of the charity.
Check out our 2022 People Plan and find out more about how employees are at the very core of our ambitious organisational strategy of funding 100 new discoveries every year by 2031.Our People Plan
We are delighted to announce that we have won an Employee Engagement Award 2021 from Agenda Consulting.
The award is given to Agenda clients that achieve over 80% engagement and over 50% response rate.
We aim to not only measure engagement at Worldwide Cancer Research but act on team feedback to continuously improve it.
Why not follow us on LinkedIn.
You might also be interested in
News & opinion
See the difference your support makes, meet our Curestarter heroes, discover more about what happens in our labs and read expert opinions on pioneering cancer research.