The people behind the decisions
We are often asked not just how we go about selecting the most worthwhile projects
to receive funding but also who exactly does the selecting.
We receive over 600 grant applications from all over the world for promising research every year. So we leave the selecting process to the experts - our Scientific Advisory Committee. This Committee is made of eminent cancer specialists who give up their time voluntarily to meet and evaluate proposals. The breadth of knowledge and depth of experience of our committee members ensure that only research of the highest calibre is funded. It’s always about the quality of the research not its geography. If an application shows great promise then we will award it funding no matter where in the world it is being carried out.
We, and many others, are indebted to the members of the committee for their time, expertise and enthusiasm.
Now you know who they are why not discover more about some of the current projects
our Scientific Advisory Committee has selected?
Scientific Advisory Committee 2018
- Dr John Maher, King’s College London, England (Chair)
- Dr João T. Barata, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Professor Boudewijn Burgering, University Medical Center Utrecht, Netherlands
- Professor Amparo Cano, Autonomous University Madrid, Spain
- Professor Oriol Casanovas, Catalan Institute of Oncology, IDIBELL, Barcelona, Spain
- Professor Peter Fischer, University of Nottingham, England
- Professor Awen Gallimore, Cardiff University, Wales
- Dr Richard Jenner, University College London, England
- Dr Kim Bak Jensen, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Professor Hemant Kocher, Queen Mary University of London, England
- Professor Sonia Lain, Karolinska Institute, Sweden
- Dr Simon Leedham, University of Oxford, England
- Dr Daniel Lietha, Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO), Madrid, Spain
- Professor Michael Lisby, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Dr John Martens, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Professor Andrew McAinsh, University of Warwick, England
- Dr Steven Pollard, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
- Dr Simona Polo, IFOM FIRC Institute of Molecular Oncology, Milan, Italy
- Dr Olivia Rossanese, The Institute of Cancer Research, London, England
- Dr Vincenzo Russo, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
- Professor Primo Schaer, University of Basel, Switzerland
- Dr Rebekka Schneider, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Professor Albert Tenesa, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
- Dr Cathy Tournier, University of Manchester, England