The people behind the decisions
We are often asked not just how we go about selecting the most worthwhile projects
to receive funding but also who exactly does the selecting.
We receive over 600 grant applications from all over the world for promising research every year. So we leave the selecting process to the experts - our Scientific Advisory Committee. This Committee is made of eminent cancer specialists who give up their time voluntarily to meet and evaluate proposals. The breadth of knowledge and depth of experience of our committee members ensure that only research of the highest calibre is funded. It’s always about the quality of the research not its geography. If an application shows great promise then we will award it funding no matter where in the world it is being carried out.
We, and many others, are indebted to the members of the committee for their time, expertise and enthusiasm.
Now you know who they are why not discover more about some of the current projects
our Scientific Advisory Committee has selected?
Scientific Advisory Committee 2017
- Dr John Maher, King’s College London, England (Chair)
- Dr James Brenton, University of Cambridge, England
- Professor Amparo Caro, Autonomous University Madrid, Spain
- Professor Paul Coffer, University Medical Center Utrecht, Netherlands
- Professor Ruud Delwel, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Professor Peter Fischer, University of Nottingham, England
- Professor Awen Gallimore, Cardiff University, Wales
- Professor Michelle Garrett, University of Kent at Canterbury, England
- Dr Richard Jenner, University College London, England
- Dr Kim Bak Jensen, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Professor Hemant Kocher, Queen Mary University of London, England
- Professor Sonia Lain, Karolinska Institute, Sweden
- Dr John Martens, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Professor Michael Lisby, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Dr Angeliki Malliri, University of Manchester, England
- Professor Andrew McAinsh, University of Warwick, England
- Dr Steven Pollard, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
- Dr Simona Polo, IFOM FIRC Institute of Molecular Oncology, Milan, Italy
- Dr Sergio Quezada, University College London, England
- Professor Albert Tenesa, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
- Dr Cathy Tournier, University of Manchester, England
- Professor Helle Ulrich, Institute of Molecular Biology, Mainz, Germany
- Professor Christine Watson, University of Cambridge, England